You may have become increasingly aware of the popularity of Vimeo. If you’ve heard of it but are left wondering ‘what is Vimeo?’, we’ve got you covered! The platform is infamous for beautifully crafted, artistic videos that inspire and move audiences. If that intrigues you, stick with us to find out what Vimeo is, how it works and how it compares to YouTube. Let’s get started!
What Is Vimeo?
Vimeo is a video sharing platform that includes features such as live-streaming and customization. The platform is ad-free, and instead gains revenue by providing subscription plans for businesses and content creators and offering software as a service (SaaS). These services include video creation, editing, broadcasting tools and connecting with clients. The bottom line is that Vimeo allows you to create high quality, professional videos and reach audiences worldwide!
How Does Vimeo Work?
Now we’ve looked at what Vimeo is, how about how Vimeo works?
Vimeo is pretty straightforward and not dissimilar at first glance to other platforms such as YouTube. Users can upload videos, watch videos, create playlists, save videos, comment, like and so on. However, Vimeo’s community is very actively engaged, making it a great platform to build a fan base on.
So, how do you get started? All you need to do is sign up for a Vimeo account. In terms of what you will get, as a Basic member, you can:
- Upload up to 500 MB of content per week (up to 5 GB total storage per account)
- Access basic embedding features
- See some analytics for your videos
- Download converted video files
- Access some privacy controls for your videos
- Upload up to 10 videos per day
- Create 1 channel, 1 group, and 3 showcases
- Publish videos natively to social and e-commerce accounts
Looking for more features? Check out the comparisons of Vimeo’s Basic and Premium accounts!
What’s The Difference Between Vimeo & YouTube?
Vimeo vs YouTube may be the first thing that pops into your brain, and we totally get it. However, there are differences in the platforms. Let’s take a look:
Differences Between Vimeo & YouTube
- Vimeo is known for higher quality videos and promotes meaningful, artistic content. Due to this, they are a little fussier about what is uploaded.
- YouTube is free as both a viewer and creator, however Vimeo has charges for Premium features that allow you to upload more videos.
- Vimeo videos don’t have ads like YouTube videos, but some are available on a pay-per-view basis called Video on Demand (VoD). Here, you can Rent, Buy or Subscribe.
- Differing upload limits.
- YouTube has a bigger audience.
These are just a few differences, so do your research if you want to stick to just one video sharing platform!
Final Thoughts: Is Vimeo Worth It?
Vimeo is a powerful video sharing platform that has introduced many creators to various audiences. We would highly recommend using Vimeo to build your following, and share the content you love with audiences who will love it too. You can always start off with a Basic account and get yourself acclimated before opting for a Premium account. If you are looking to make creative, high-quality content and want to find a receptive audience, then why not give Vimeo a try?
How Audiosocket Can Help
At Audiosocket, we have over 80,000 tracks and 2,000 sound effects for you to use in your videos. Not only that, but you can search by mood, genre, tempo and so on to help you find exactly what you’re looking for. Starting from $10 a month, you can have unlimited access to tracks that will bring your content to life. Get started now!