With a whopping 1 billion people using Instagram every month, it is a large and engaged audience to share your content with. Video is the most watched type of content in 2020, especially on Instagram. Therefore, ensuring that your Instagram videos are great quality will help to reach more people and engage viewers. So, how can you make sure that your videos are the best quality, and what things should you avoid? Let’s take a look at our top tips for Instagram videos!
Instagram Videos: Tips
Audio & Video Format
The best all-round format for Instagram videos is MP4. The highest quality in terms of audio is AAC instead of mp3, so try to aim for this. If you are using software like Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro X to edit your videos, make sure to export in these formats.
Video aspect ratio refers to the dimensions of your video, and isn’t to do with file size. Instagram favors vertical videos at 9:16 ratio. We recommend an aspect ratio of 4:5, and your videos should be a minimum of 864 pixels (width) by 1080 pixels (height).
Our recommendations for aspect ratio specs are:
- Landscape – 1.91:1 – 1080×608px
- Square – 1:1 – 1080×1080px
- Portrait – 4:5 – 1080×1350px
Instagram Video Length
There are limitations the length of Instagram videos based on whether you are uploading to your feed, story, IGTV or Live. They are:
- Feed: 3 secs – 1 minute
- Stories: Up to 15 secs per story
- IGTV: 15 secs – 10 minutes
- Live: Up to 60 minutes for verified accounts and 10 minutes for others
Also, note that IGTV videos can be up to 60 minutes long and up to 3.6 GB.
Ensuring Your Instagram Videos Are Top Quality
Essentially, you want to upload your Instagram videos with the least amount of compression for the highest quality output. Make sure to connect to WiFi when posting, and maybe consider uploading via desktop rather than from your cellphone in order to achieve this. Don’t forget to choose an intriguing thumbnail for your video, or upload your own thumbnail to get people interested in watching.
Lastly, make sure to get creative! With tons of videos on Instagram, you want to stand out from the crowd. Studies have shown that audiences engage more with people on-screen, so try to feature people in your videos where possible. Listen to your insights and audience, and try to shape your content around what does well with your target audience. Take note of what other creators in your field are doing, and put your own spin on it to stand out!
In short, to make sure that your Instagram videos are the best quality possible, follow these steps:
- Record your video in the appropriate aspect ratio and resolution depending on the output (i.e. Feed, Stories, Live, or IGTV)
- Export file type MP4 or H.264 codec
- Format to AAC audio
- When exporting your video, pay attention to the aspect ratio for each format. Use an Instagram video aspect ratio of 9:16 for Stories and IGTV videos
- Format videos to at least 1080 pixels wide
- Note the video length differences and make sure your video won’t get cut off depending on where you are uploading it
- Upload from Instagram desktop rather than the app
- Use WiFi to upload your videos
How Audiosocket Can Help
Another important part of creating video content is finding music for your project, and we want to help! Audiosocket offers a wide catalog of over 80,000 tracks and 2,000 sound designs! Starting at just $10 a month, you can have unlimited access to tons of tracks. So, what are you waiting for? Get started now!